Monday, September 30, 2013

ArtPrize Experience

Demonstrating my technique for onlookers on opening weekend
photo courtesy of Kim Santini

A great big THANK YOU to everyone who helped support my trip to ArtPrize in Grand Rapids, MI to view the installation of my piece Awakening Ophelia, Nishikigoi Dream at the Amway Grand Hotel. Also I wanted to thank the Amway Grand for agreeing to take me on along with 22 other stellar artists who were also hosted by this fantastic venue.

I funded my trip via print sales of each and every individual 12x12 section of this 3x5 foot piece. I am forever grateful to all of you who purchased sections to help me afford to travel.

Taking over Kim's kitchen the evening before my demo
photo courtesy of Kim Santini

I arrived in Grand Rapids on opening weekend, Saturday the 21st of September. The entire downtown was bustling with foot traffic, people walking from venue to venue to observe and vote for their favorite piece. Thanks to great advice from my friend and fellow artist Katie, I set up a demo piece the night before. Boy was I lucky to be hosted by the infamous Kimberly Kelly Santini who had me all hooked up with a 16x16 cradled panel, an acrylic paint palette, an easel, and reference photos of Queen Anne's Lace. Now that's a good friend!



my view from my demo piece, people kept pouring in all day long

I worked in front of my piece for HOURS and the onlookers never stopped. Amway Grand and the entire town of Grand Rapids was transformed by ArtPrize and the energy was incredible.

Thank goodness for Katie Dambro and her daughter Lauren who hung my art, setup my DVD, put fans in the room the day of my demo (boy was it hot) and helped me sell my work when I started to get more into the painting than the talking... I couldn't have done it without my girls!


Silkwaves in the Grand by Al & Laurie Roberts

On Sunday I took the time to walk around and view art at the B.O.B and the DeVos Center, as well as across the river. WOW was I impressed at the scope and creativity of this event. So many amazing projects. I'm so glad that I had an opportunity to view and to vote for some fellow amazing artists. 

On Monday I returned home to Sunny Florida, so inspired. What an amazing opportunity I had not only to be a part of ArtPrize (for the second year in a row) but to view what other artists had accomplished for this event as well. My favorite piece had to be Michigan Forest: The Future of Genetic Manipulation on an Eco System. Rob Vander Zee had me up close and personal, viewing his fantastic painting from inches away. Such depth and color, in such an image of fantasy and imagination. It drew me in. 

completed in the studio; Queen Anne's Lace @St.Hilaire Nelson

You may purchase a print of this 16x16 ArtPrize demo piece for a limited time. It's a giclĂ©e on extra deep gallery wrapped canvas, wired and ready to hang. 

THANK YOU
FOR YOUR SUPPORT
and for being a part of
My Art Journey

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for taking the time to read and comment! :)