Tuesday, December 29, 2009

DVD Inspired Work


Today's Featured DVD Inspired Artist: Sandy Oveson
Sandy's panda came out great! She originally struggled with white edges on her green paper in the background. I suggested a ripping technique to her that helps eliminate the edges, but in the end Sandy went back in with more paper to cover over some of her edges. If you paint a more porous paper, the color will bleed all the way through, and you won't have white edges at all! I did tell Sandy, I don't mind white edges in some instances, it creates some interesting patterns! I think Sandy used the black paper to her advantage by pulling out the "fuzzy edges" to create a fir like feeling that really works.

Sandy told me that her final artistic decision was to crop the panda down to simplify the background and I think it really works! I love this composition with the yellow bamboo framing his face, this was really emphasized when she cropped off the extra green to the left and right of the bamboo and made the composition square rather than horizontal.

Here's what Sandy has to say about the Paper Paintings DVD which inspired her: I'm excited because today a friend of mine helped me mat and frame my little panda collage that I made after seeing your dvd!  Because she thought it was so cute, I'm anxious to start  another.  I also got some nice comments when I posted the final on my blog.  You already know I think your dvd is great! 


See more of Sandy's work as well as Panda in progress: http://artjourney-sandy.blogspot.com

5 comments:

  1. Great job on this! I hope to try some paper paintings after the first of the year and I'll definitely let you know how it goes (or ask for help ?) I do have a question - you said you use GAK - since there are so many different kinds, what kind do you use? I have a Jerry's Artarama catalog that lists numbers from GAK 200 - 600 and I'm unsure which is best. Or should I just stick to acrylic matte medium as a "glue?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elizabeth,

    Really like the panda. I haven't tried your technique even though I love the DVD.

    Do we get a link to Sandy's blog?

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I prime the wood with GAC-100 by Golden. I like it to seal the wood, no support induced discoloration, however it's a slick surface to sketch on. Lately I've been pencil sketching on the raw wood and then putting GAC-100 over the sketch and the wood, problem solved!

    for the glue, I use Liquitex Gel Gloss Medium. Matte is not good because layers of it can dull down your colors, on the final vanish coat you can varnish with satin to tone back the gloss gel.

    Oh I totally forgot to link to sandy's blog. let me fix that in the post!! thanks Vicki!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a chance to view your video this afternoon. Really fun. You have a beautiful studio too! A couple questions:
    1. are all the collage papers you paint on rice papers? I know you said you paint some book papers. But most seem very thin. It took until the second viewing for me to figure out you were painting ON the acrylic even though you SAID you were! Duh.
    2. Where did you say you purchased the wood panels?
    You said it so quickly I couldn't catch it. I wish there was a supply list as a 3rd menu item. Otherwise I was very very happy with the video. I do plan to try this soon. I'll put the video under my pillow...maybe I'll paint a panda like Sandy's. Great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ginny, a supply list in the DVD would be a nice addition. perhaps I can add it as a PDF file to the DVD in the future. either that or I can make it available on my blog or website if people want it. For now, I have emailed it to you along with my workshop prospectus! it's page two. I buy the wood at Home Depot and they cut it down for me, but they do not promise accurate cuts or any cuts under 12 inches. What I have been using lately are American Easel Wood Painting Panels available at DickBlick.com, they are boxed out, kind of like wood panels but gallery wrapped. Of Course Home Depot is less expensive but some HDs do not carry the wood, I have been told. Yes, painting ON the plexi and then putting the paper into it is called "monoprinting" Not all the papers are rice papers no, I use a total variety of papers but I like rice because it's archival and it absorbs the color all the way through. book pages work well monoprinted if you find them too fragile to paint, depends on the book really. I also paint art store papers that already have some printed embelishment on them, that makes for an interesting effect as the embelishment resists the acrylic. this will be my next blog post HOpe this helps!!

    ReplyDelete

thank you for taking the time to read and comment! :)